Monday, December 21, 2015

Dance like no one's watching

I went to a brewery with a few of my friends a few months ago. Among the group was a new girl I had not met yet. We shall call her Becky. Now, Becky seemed awesome and friendly. I already like you when I meet you, until you give me a reason not to. And then, once that happens, good luck coming to the sunny side.

Anyways, after the brewery, we all went to a restaurant. When the host saw how big our party was (6 people), not that big, he recommended we sit outside. We would have our own little patio...sounds awesome right?! SUPER AWESOME.

We get up there, and it's a little quiet, so I ask him if it's possible for them to play music out there. He said yes and that he was going to get right on it and he does! What an amazing host; their service was just perfect.

Okay, we had been drinking previously, and I was feeling the music. I didn't care about the food anymore, I needed to shake my tail feather like there was no tomorrow. No one else wanted to dance, so I danced by myself while everyone else ate their food. I am sure I looked absolutely silly. Becky apparently did not approve of this and one of my other friends, mentioned it to me later that night after we had all parted ways.

I was thinking about this today. I heard the song, I hope you dance by Lee Ann Womack. I am telling you, that song always pulls at my heartstrings. I don't know what it is about that song, but it makes my eyes rain. So, I am sure solo drunk dancing at a restaurant is not exactly what she had in mind, but I sure as hell am about to take it there!

The thing is...who is anyone to judge what you do? Whether it's dancing at a restaurant, when you're the ONLY people sitting there or even if there are other people sitting there or if you order your dessert before dinner, or whatever you want to do!!

I came to a point in life where each moment in life seemed as miserable as the next. Each step forward seemed like a step in place with chains pulling me backward. I had to fight to stay in place and it wouldn't seem worth it, most of the time. I felt like there was no light at the end of the tunnel and I couldn't even reach the sides of the tunnel. Everything was dark and each time I took a stupid pill, it was just a flame from a lighter, lighting a few shuffles in an unknown direction, every day. And, every day, I would take another pill, flick another BIC, shuffling, fighting, trying to make it to night time, so I could start anew the next, hopefully accomplishing something like smiling.

I came to a point where I didn't know if I was going to make it to the next day, the next week, or the next month. But, by some miracle or perseverance (I think that's what they would call it, or maybe strength, courage, whatever), I am here, alive and semi-well. I refuse to wonder about what if and I refuse to let what other people think stop me from doing what I want to do. I refuse to settle for anything less than what makes me happy.

I know what it feels like to want to sleep away every moment of every day, so when I get the opportunity to dance, I'm gonna freaking dance, dammit! And I'm gonna dance like no one's watching! So, BOO YAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment